Help for weight loss, weight control, slimming and dieting using Psychotherapy, Hypnotherapy & Cognitive Therapy at 1066 Therapy
covering Battle, East Sussex, Hastings, Bexhill, Rye, Heathfield, Hailsham, Eastbourne, Crowborough, Brighton, Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge, Ashford and Kent.
If you need help with controlling your food intake, weight loss, slimming, yo-yo dieting, comfort eating, over-eating, or binge eating psychotherapy, hypnotherapy and/or cognitive therapy can help. If you have an problem such as anorexia or bulimia please click here. Please click here if you want to read more about comfort eating, over-eating, binging, on another page but remember to come back to this one 🙂
I am often consulted for help with these problems, and I have successfully helped many people with a variety of weight loss issues at my practice just outside of Battle, East Sussex.
Most people who ask me for help with weight loss have managed to achieve their ideal weight at some point (usually by dieting) in the past, often on more than one occasion, but it’s only been a matter of time before they have ‘piled the pounds back on again’ – commonly referred to as yo-yo dieting. So, why do so many people do this time and again?
Anyone can lose weight by eating less and/or being more active but something more is needed for long-term changes. Diets don’t work – at least not permanently anyway – which is why there are so many different diets and slimming/dieting clubs around, and why the dieting industry is a £billion concern and still growing. As Paul McKenna has said, diet and slimming clubs exist to make money, and to sell food and drink laced with chemicals (e.g. sweeteners).
Wendy’s experience of ‘PICT’ at 1066 Therapy after consulting for weight loss
Note: When Wendy says she has lost 2 stone easily, she means that she has achieved this without consciously following a calorie-controlled diet of any kind: she has done this naturally, alongside an exercise regime which she enjoys.
So, why don’t diets/slimming clubs work in the long term? Here are a few reasons…
- If people have any underlying anxiety or confidence problems, they will not like having to get on the scales every week in front of a room of people, no matter how overweight the other people are too, so they very likely won’t keep it up.
- When people ‘starve’ their body on a low calorie diet, their bodies start to conserve energy and build up stores of fat – exactly what they don’t want.
- People usually have to ‘deprive’ themselves of their favourite foods and, if they do this for too long, they often ‘binge’ on them at some point and be back to square one before they know it, losing heart and stopping what they are doing.
- Most importantly, although some diet/slimming programmes may teach some useful behavioural changes, none of them actually help people to sort out the real reasons – the real causes – why they feel compelled to eat more than their body needs. Why don’t the dieting clubs and programmes do this? Well, if they helped people to resolve the real reasons why they are over-eating, they wouldn’t get any repeat business!
The last point is the ‘key’ reason why diets and dieting never work to change problems with over-eating permanently – as Paul McKenna again says…diets cannot make people slim for good, only psychologists and hypnotherapists can do that (or something very similar).
I will add that, if any of my clients’ previous experiences with “weight loss hypnotherapy” is anything to go by, only hypnotherapists who are including psychology/psychotherapy in their approach can provide really effective help. Suggestion therapy (aka clinical hypnosis) can help, but only for the short term; the effects won’t last – if they did, I would use it!
The way I see it is this – helping people to lose weight is really only ‘half the battle’, probably less than that in fact. I help people to resolve the real causes of why they feel compelled to eat more than they need, and then work through whatever those causes are. This brings permanent resolution to their weight loss problem. Unfortunately, there is no ‘magic wand’, or ‘quick fix’ for resolving the compulsions.
The compulsions can be quite powerful and can, for example,
- make it more difficult for people to ‘engage’ their willpower on diets;
- make people feel ‘out of control’ with their eating;
- make it more difficult to maintain the diet/lifestyle changes once the ideal weight has been achieved, and so on.
Often these compulsions are subconscious (i.e. operating outside of conscious awareness) which makes it more difficult in many ways. However, it is possible to resolve even subconscious compulsions using appropriate therapy. The causes of the compulsions are generally underlying, unresolved feelings from challenging past experiences, usually from early life and often long-forgotten by the time a person develops eating and weight loss problems.
So, when someone genuinely wants to achieve an effective and lasting solution to their weight control problems, rather than have another ‘quick fix’, I help them to resolve the causes that compel them to eat more than they need. I will say that most people who come to see me with a weight problem are often unaware of having any underlying compulsions or unresolved feelings initially, but awareness of this builds as we work through things together.
I am aware that this probably contradicts everything we have been told (by the dieting industry!) about food and weight problems, but I ask everyone who consults me with a weight control/constant dieting problem just to consider this different way of looking at things, and to ask themselves this……if food really is the problem and dieting does in fact work, in the long-term, why is it such a huge and growing £billion business? And why do more ‘new’ and different diets keep being created? And why do people lose weight on a diet only to return to over-eating again afterwards? Etc etc….Surely by now someone somewhere would have got it right if it is ‘just’ about the food?!
I offer several different approaches for weight loss problems: including The Relaxed Eating Programme (see below):
The Relaxed Eating Programme™ is a special three session programme (with two optional follow up sessions at three month intervals) which includes Suggestion Therapy and which also explains:
- Why dieting does not work and, in fact, often results in you putting on more weight
- The difference between emotional and physical hunger
- Why there are no ‘forbidden foods’
- How to rate your hunger
- How to be ‘mindful’ of your food intake
- The importance of chewing your food properly
- The importance of various ‘cues’
- How to integrate exercise into your daily routines
- and much, much more…
The programme is designed to help you to change your relationship with food and exercise. And the cost for this special programme? Just £175.00 for the first three sessions. The cost includes a comprehensive handout full of useful tips, hints and information for you to keep and a special weight loss CD. Any follow up sessions are charged separately. NOTE: This programme is really only suitable for those who have about a stone or so at most to lose.
However if you are more than a stone overweight, or you have a history of yo-yo dieting say, we would need to consider another approach. I do offer different approaches for this (and every problem) and the choice of which one to take depends on the individual and their circumstances – the decision is usually made during the free 30 minute initial consultation.
Please browse my site for information on the various therapies / approaches that I practise.
Call me now on 07722783490 or 01424 772392 to book your free 30 minute weight loss assessment.